Embedded Video Processing and Radio Unit
The embedded video processing and radio unit (VPRU) is a small, high performance single board computer for capturing and transmission of high definition video and for providing a simple TM/TC interface for the system it is built into.
- Capture high quality video in 640x360 and 1280x720 pixels, 25 fps, progressive scan
- Perform some basic compression of the video stream in real time
- Provide a TM/TC interface to other processing units
- Interleave telemetry from other processing units and the video stream and transmit it over a radio link
- Receive telecommands via the radio and forward them to the other processing units
Nice to have requirements:
- Pan, tilt, and zoom
- Transponder functionality in the radio unit for ranging
The VPRU is going to be developed in three incremental iterations resulting in three prototypes:
- First Prototype
- This prototype will focus on the video processing functionality and the TM/TC interface. For the radio part, a simple Wi-Fi interface will be used allowing laptops and handheld devices to act as hosts.
- Second Prototype
- This prototype will focus on the radio unit and implement the transponder functionality.
- Third prototype (TBC)
- This prototype will focus on adding the pan tilt and zoom functionalities and will be likely to replace the camera unit from the first and second prototypes.